Then, today, I saw her again - she scurried away but as I stood still, she came back. A white mouse! I took some photos quickly as she sniffed about, coming all the way up to my feet.
Someone has clearly let these two mice loose in the garden. I'm sad - they won't live long as they don't have enough fear, foraging or coping skills, and might die of dehydration or poisoning.
Releasing domesticated animals into the wild is a cruel thing to do. Perhaps these were some mice that the owner's snake wouldn't eat, and if so they should have made some decent living accommodations for the mice. But for now they're a little magic in the garden.